From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 03 2016 - 23:38:11 CST

Hi,
  If you haven't received any other suggestions yet, I thought I'd
comment very briefly.

A conceptually straightforward approach to do this might be to
compute an expanded molecular surface mesh (padding out the probe radius
significantly) on which to place particles, followed by the use a simple
monte carlo approach to pushing the particles around to achieve perfectly
uniform spacing. Perhaps someone has an existing tool/code to suggest, but
I don't know of one personally.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/