From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2016 - 09:41:12 CDT

Hi,
  You can use "withinbonds N" to select atoms that are within a certain number
(N) of bond traversals from the other part of the selection. If you were trying
to select anything that is part of your "new molecule", I suppose you could
do a withinbonds selection with a very larger cutoff count (equal to the
total number of atoms for example) and you would get back everything in the
"new molecule" attached to the starting selection. I haven't personally
tried it with a huge bond traversal count value, but I would expect
it to work fine because the selection algorithm is designed to be
reasonably efficient and avoids various redundant traversals by marking
its traversal paths as it goes.

Cheers

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/