From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 10:51:57 CDT

Dallas,
  You didn't say which rendering method you're using? If you're not
using Snapshot, then the front/rear clip planes will have no effect.
Those two clip planes are actually a feature of OpenGL, and are only
user adjustable because they have to be in order to work well in some
display wall setups. In everyday use, you wouldn't actually want to use
them for front/back clipping though I know a lot of people do. :)

We have a separate primitive for clipping geometry which will correctly
export to POV-Ray scenes in the developmental version of VMD, which you
could try if you like. None of the other renderers can do clipping just
yet, POV-Ray and the built-in OpenGL window are the only two at present.

  John