From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2016 - 10:32:34 CDT

Hi,
  I seem to vaguely recall that for some MD simulation configs, unless
you have velocity information saved/restored on restart (and appropriate
sim config flags perhaps), that atom velocities will be reinitialized
(using random number generators) which may explain such a bump upon restart.
This is really a question for NAMD-L or the mailing list for whichever
MD simulation code you happen to be using.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/