From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 05 2016 - 15:08:26 CST

Hi Reza,

For whatever reason your settings file (.vmdrc) is not turning on the
main menu. From the terminal you used to launch VMD, you can also enter
commands. What happens if you enter this command in that terminal window?

vmd > menu main on

That should bring up the main menu. If that works, you should figure out
why the main menu isn't opened by default. The easiest way of fixing it
is to play around with VMDPrefs to build yourself a new vmdrc file,
which you would save in your home directory.

-Josh