From: Brian Bennion (brian_at_youkai.llnl.gov)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 13:12:13 CDT

2 things

1) you can just copy the vmdplugin.h from the plugin tree to vmd src dir

2) edit the configure script/make file to look for plugin headers.

Brian

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> i tried to install new binary of vmd 1.8.2 on my netbsd machine. i'm
> running 1.8.1a6 (i think) now. i recall that i had to use static-linked
> binary for that version.
>
> i downloaded linux binary from vmd website - first question : web
> mentions that when downloading linux version it contains both hw opengl
> and mesa - is it really so? there is only one binary in the package - is
> it somehow detecting whether the system is hw opengl capable or not?
>
> i tried to check for required libraries for vmd_LINUX file. it doesn't
> report any missing libraries, but when i try to execute it, it
> immediately quits with "vmd_LINUX: error while loading shared libraries:
> libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".
> ldd vmd_LINUX reports
> -lGl.1 => /usr/pkg/lib/libGL.so.1
> so what's wrong here?
>
> i would like to try to build native version of vmd to avoid such
> problems, but even if i follow the instructions on vmd webpage, i'm not
> able to finish it :( i've got both plugins and vmd-1.8.2 directories,
> but anyway i can see many errors during 'make depend' - vmdplugin.h: no
> such file or directory after i do
> 'configure LINUX MESA TCL TK NOSILENT' and 'cd src'
>
> is something obvious i'm missing here?
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Lubos
> _@_"

**Brian Bennion, Ph.D. **
**Computational and Systems Biology Division **
**Biology and Biotechnology Research Program **
**Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory **
**P.O. Box 808, L-448 bennion1_at_llnl.gov **
**7000 East Avenue phone: (925) 422-5722 **
**Livermore, CA 94550 fax: (925) 424-6605 **