From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 13 2016 - 16:39:19 CST

Hi Eric,

What I do for my own images is to add labels as a post-processing step.
Inkscape (I use it since its free and runs on linux) lets me choose
better looking fonts and places the text so that is on the "top" layer,
rather than fighting with other elements of the scene for a spot on the
z-buffer. Gimp, photoshop, or Illustrator would let you do the same
thing. Think about what others in the lab do, something like that
workflow is pretty common, since that is what it takes to make the
figure labels good enough for publication. Your layering method would
work too, I'm just not sure if I could deal with the font choices!

-Josh