From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 24 2015 - 12:54:08 CST

Hi,
  Sorry for the slow reply, I've been out of the office for the last
couple of weeks at conferences etc.

I had posted on VMD-L a while back but only got a couple of people responding
that they had access to DK2s, so supporting the broad range of OSes hasn't been
a priority up to now.

At this moment, the Oculus Rift code in VMD only runs on Linux, because
I wrote all of it from scratch (since Oculus put their Linux/Mac SDKs in
deep freeze for the forseeable future) and because my initial HMD work has been
targeting visualization of very large structures w/ remote visualization.

At present, I'm expecting that VMD 1.9.3 will only contain support for Linux,
because I hope to release the new VMD version at the end of 2015. That
being said, now that Oculus is close to "version 1.0" of their SDK, and
they are changing their APIs much more slowly, I will begin reevaluating
integrating their APIs into VMD over the next couple of weeks and it might
be that I add HMD support on Windows in a test version in the next several
weeks. I will definitely be adding Windows support for the release of the
Oculus Rift CV1 in the first half of 2016. I'm hoping to get test hardware
early enough that I can put serious effort into making VMD perform well
on the upcoming CV1.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/