From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 05 2015 - 20:13:06 CST

JC,
  Unless there's a bug I'm not aware of, this should not prevent
you from writing to the velocity arrays at any time. I use this
scheme for all optional data arrays to save memory. If you query
an array that doesn't exist, you get zeroes, but on first write,
the memory should be allocated and stored to. Let me know if you're
having trouble with anything specifically?

Cheers,
 John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/