From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 21 2015 - 15:04:47 CDT

Hi,
  In addition to Josh's suggestion, within any running VMD session
(whether text mode or otherwise) you can always use "display resize XXXX YYYY"
to set the image size that renderers will use by default. The only case
where this is not straightforward is actually when you do have an interactive
session running with OpenGL, as some window managers will prevent the window
size from being larger than the screen unless you push part of the window
outside of the screen boundaries prior to running the display resize command...

One of the things I hope to do in the near future is to add new render
command options to allow the image resolution to be overridden by the user
at render time, and to make it easier to produce images that correspond to a
particular size printed at a particular dpi setting.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/