From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 23 2015 - 15:50:18 CDT

Hi,
  I would echo Axel's comments about using mirroring, particularly
for individual usage. For large systems using RAID-6 is okay, but
it's definitely more work than mirroring. We have a few petabytes of
storage here, and we lose a hard drive about once per two or three
weeks. Every time there's a drive failure the RAID-6 rebuild takes
about 2 days, during which that particular RAID partition runs really slow...

For our large storage system we couldn't afford to use mirroring, but
for smaller systems, that's definitely what I would recommend.

One thing that mirroring doesn't save you from is user errors....
On filesystems like Solaris/Linux ZFS, you can use filesystem snapshotting
to deal with that. On more primitive filesystems like ext2/3/4 or xfs,
you are left using backups as the main mechanism of recovery.

On my machine at home I have SSDs w/ ext4 as my main storage, but I do
complete dumps of the SSDs to magnetic mechanical drives on a
regular basis. If the SSD fails, I have a recovery path, and if
I did 'rm -rf' in the wrong place, I could also recover from a previous
dump.

I would be using ZFS on my linux box at home, but I wanted the linux
version to settle a bit before I really start using it. We use ZFS
here on Solaris file servers and it's awesome with the commercial
implementation...