From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 23 2015 - 14:33:09 CDT

Max,
  I'm not entirely sure what it is you want out of the plot, so maybe you
can be more specific about what your input is and how you want it displayed.

Regarding the 'vol0' and 'interpvol0' atoms selection keywords:
  These select atoms according to the value of voxels in volumetric data
set 0. The 'vol0' selection samples only the "nearest" voxel to each atom
as the selection criteria. The "interpvol0" keyword does trilinear
interpolation among the 8 nearest voxels to each atom, and uses the
interpolated value.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/