From: Mayne, Christopher G (cmayne2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 17 2015 - 16:21:12 CDT

Amy,

I'm not quite sure what's going on here. It seems like it's looking for an atom type that is a concatenation of several atoms, and I'm not sure why it would do that since you're PSF seems OK. I can come back to this problem, but I see a couple of other issues here.

Based on the contents of your initial PAR file I can tell that you didn't include the par_all36_prot.prm file as an "associated parameter file". Many of the parameters that you have in your PAR file are defined by the standard CHARMM force field for proteins. Including this file when generating the initial parameter file will significantly reduce the number of missing parameters that you will have to work on.

You should check out the CGenFF topology file, specifically how residue GUA changes to MGUA. Comparing these two entries will be helpful in assessing the changes associated with methylating the nitrogens of guanidinium, e.g., how the partial atomic charges change, and it will give you proper LJ parameters for the terminal methyl. Many of the missing parameters should be defined, albeit in CGenFF terms (i.e., using CGenFF atom types rather than CHARMM protein atom types). It may be a little tedious, but you should be able to translate these.

Anything that remains missing won't required parameterizing the full molecule that you've constructed. At worst you can truncate the system to an N-methyl and N-propyl guanidinium.

Regards,
Christopher Mayne