From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 10 2015 - 15:26:33 CDT

Hi,
  You can use the "draw text" command to place text within the VMD
scene. If you want it to be located in a particular portion of the
field of view regardless what molecule is loaded, that can be done by
creating a new molecule, toggling it fixed, and drawing the text into
the new molecule. You can adjust the thickness and size of the drawn
text with further parameters described in the user's guide and the
built-in command help.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/