From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 28 2015 - 11:36:22 CDT

Hi,
  I'm out of town on vacation but I can help address your questions when
I return. We don't build the Windows versions of VMD using Makefiles,
they are compiled using the MSVC/MSVS project files in the subdirectories
of 'msvc'. The configure script does generate a makefile, but the main
thing it accomplishes in the case of Windows is to generate a couple of
machine-dependent header files VMD needs. In principle you can use any
Tcl/FLTK/etc libraries you want, but if you have some experience with
Windows development you will already know that you cannot mix different
C runtime linkage modes with multiple libraries, and that the C runtime
has to be consisent among the libraries you link against. Ihe the past
this issue has forced me to compile not only VMD, but all of its dependencies
from source code so that I could resolve these kinds of issues.
It's more tricky when you have black-box libraries involved also
(e.g. the 3DConnexion SDKs, Haptic libraries, and so on). My advice would
be to start with a minimalistic VMD build first and see how far you get,
gradually turning things on until you have a complete build. I am happy to
give further guidance in 10 days when I return from vacation.

  johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/