From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 17:33:35 CST

Cheri,
  From the errors you got below, it looks like your VMD installations
were done incorrectly. Rather than just running ./vmd_LINUX, please
read the install instructions included with the README file to correctly
install VMD on your system. When correctly installed, you'll end up
with a special startup script called 'vmd' which should be in your
executable path. The startup script will launch the vmd_LINUX executable
and setup various directory environment variables which relate to the
error messages you saw when you ran it by hand.
Let us know if you have trouble following the install instructions
in the README document.

Thanks,