From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 15:18:25 CST

Marc,
  Jim pointed out to me that you might have been thinking of the
"Stage" in VMD, which draws a checkerboard pattern. The number of
divisions in the checkerboard pattern can be controlled with the
"stage panels xxx" command (where xxx is the number of panels on each axis)
One problem with using the stage as a "ruler" is that the stage is not
scaled/zoomed along with the molecule, so it doesn't provide an absolute
coordinate reference like you'd want. If its the stage that you were thinking
of, that would explain what you had thought you'd seen in an old version.
Its still there in the new versions, just not a commonly used feature.

  John