From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 10:16:37 CST

Alex,
  Did you see the previous response to your question by Oliver Beckstein?:
    http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/2536.html

Have you tried using those two programs sph_process and sos_triangle?

You could also load the "Plot" files that it can produce into VMD using
the "Plt" plugin I believe. (produced by sphqpt etc)
  http://www.biochemistry.bham.ac.uk/osmart/hole/doc/hole_d09.html

One could write a simple VMD script to generate spheres according to
the positions calculated by HOLE with a little work. I know that people
in our group have done this sort of thing in the past, but I don't have a
copy of their scripts presently.