From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 05 2015 - 15:25:54 CST

James,
  My assumption from your description is that you're using something
other than 'snapshot' for the rendering. If so, this is due to minor
(usually) differences in VMD's low-level implementation of 3-D font rendering
in OpenGL vs. other renderers. If this is for a manuscript figure or other
still image, you may find it easiest to get what you want using
Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, which also provide many better looking fonts.
Conversely, if you're doing this in a movie, then doing it in VMD and applying
a little offset to the labels to compensate for rendering differences is
probably the way to go.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/