From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2015 - 01:42:15 CST

John,

the GPU has 2GB of VRAM. Nothing else, except KDE4 is running.
Before starting VMD, nvidia-smi shows 158MB out of 2047MB used.
After starting VMD, nvidia-smi shows 282MB out of 2047MB used.

So rendering only the ruler then breaks the renderer. My 1st guess was that
the "empty" ruler molecule
having only drawn objects, doesn't have the expected molecule memory
structure set up which TachyonOptix tries to
transfer to the GPU. Therefore I tried the following, which will lead to the
same error:

1. open fresh vmd
2. disable axis
3. mol new
4. graphics 0 sphere {1 1 1}
5. render using tachyonoptix

Let me know if I can help to dig it down further.

Norman Geist.