From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2015 - 09:59:49 CST

Hi,
  The easiest method is by making an atom selection that
excludes the atoms you want to delete, then write a new
structure file, and load the newly created structure file
into a new molecule:
  set sel [atomselect top "not someatomsyoudontwant"]
  $sel writejs temp.js
  $sel delete
  mol new temp.js waitfor all

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/