From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2015 - 13:33:28 CST

Hi,
  I would add in addition to what others have already suggested,
that those people using Linux with NVIDIA cards would want to try
the new GPU-accelerated "light" version of the Tachyon ray tracing
engine built into VMD 1.9.2. It can end up being as much as 6x faster
than the full-featured CPU version of Tachyon when run on CPUs and GPUs
of a comparable technology generation and price point. The new version
of VMD also adds support for depth-of-field focal blur and mirror
reflections which aren't found in the prior revs of VMD. At present
the GPU ray tracing engine is only found on the 64-bit Linux version of
VMD, but I expect it to be enabled on Windows next, and hopefully on
MacOS at some point as well.