From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2014 - 03:26:50 CST

To my previous comment as to the usefulness of params for TM complexes, I
should remember - as anyone knows - that it is extremely difficult - if not
impossible - to reach a real minimum during a DFT optimization without
constraints to any atom. In very largely most cases, a minimum is observed
with conformation very distant from the crystal situation. Usually, people
do that optimization by constraining the CA atom of the various aa, thereby
getting some negative vibrational frequencies. And often observing
translationals far from zero. I.e, a mess. So, MD with TM metals
coordinated to the protein can be useful to certain purposes, but rarely
possible at the minimum of sound science.

Could MD, instead of requesting specific bond constants, utilize the normal
mode analysis? I don't know if it could, and how to do that, but it could
make life easier. MD is capable of giving the normal modes from
fluctuations, why not accepting the reverse? Or this is one of my daily
follies.

francesco