From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2014 - 22:49:06 CST

Hi,
  On MacOS, aside from fink, there are a few other package
collections out there. I don't have any personal experience with
these, but the NetPBM home page at SourceForge suggests trying
Fink, MacPorts, and Homebrew as options:
  http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/getting_netpbm.php

Failing that, you could always compile from source of course.

I should also point out that you can also use QuickTime 7 Pro,
and directly import image file sequences and thereby create movies.
The version number (7) sounds archaic, and it is, but apparently when
Apple rewrote QuickTime they temporarily lost various features,
and as a result people continue to run QuickTime 7 Pro for the things
that are still currently missing in the latest version, and Apple
apparently realizes this, which is why the old version is still
available:
  http://store.apple.com/us/product/D3380Z/A/quicktime-7-pro-for-mac-os-x