From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2014 - 10:00:57 CDT

Norman,
  The discussions you link to have to do with purposeful use of
OpenGL/GLX. In our case, OptiX is deciding to try and make GLX calls
all on its own, and to my knowledge there is not currently a way
to prevent it. It is trivial to query if we have a direct or indirect
OpenGL context, but if the underlying GLX implementation is broken or
OptiX doesn't take appropriate action in that case, I don't think I
can do much about it at present. I will bring up this issue with
the OptiX developers and see what they say. I had reported this
problem previously about a year ago, but as you can see there's still
an issue here.

Just to show where the interaction between OptiX and OpenGL is:
When I compile VMD for batch mode usage on large supercomputers with
OptiX enabled this linkage to OpenGL can sometimes be an issue.
On machines that lack a full OpenGL, I have had to create bogus
X11/stub functions in VMD itself to trick OptiX into working.
OptiX always calls these routines, irrespective whether the calling
application is actually using OpenGL or not nor whether there's an active
X-windows display, or OpenGL context. Here is the stub code
that I conditionally compile when running VMD+OptiX on a machine that
lacks OpenGL:

#if !defined(VMDOPENGL)
// A hack to prevent VMD from having to be linked to libGL.so to resolve
// OptiX dependencies for OpenGL interop, e.g. when compiling on
// a supercomputer/cluster lacking OpenGL support (e.g. ORNL Titan):
//
// Linking vmd_BLUEWATERS ...
// /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1: undefined reference to `xcb_glx_set_client_info_arb'
// /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1: undefined reference to `xcb_glx_create_context_attribs_arb_checked'
// /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1: undefined reference to `xcb_glx_set_client_info_2arb'
// /usr/bin/ld: link errors found, deleting executable `vmd_BLUEWATERS'
// collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
// make: *** [vmd_BLUEWATERS] Error 1
//
extern "C" {
  typedef struct {
     unsigned int sequence;
  } xcb_void_cookie_t;
  static xcb_void_cookie_t fake_cookie = { 0 };
  xcb_void_cookie_t xcb_glx_set_client_info_arb(void) {
   return fake_cookie;
  }
  xcb_void_cookie_t xcb_glx_create_context_attribs_arb_checked(void) {
   return fake_cookie;
  }
  xcb_void_cookie_t xcb_glx_set_client_info_2arb(void) {
   return fake_cookie;
  }
}
#endif