From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2014 - 22:02:31 CDT

Hi,
  Please read these pages of the documentation as a starting point:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.9.1/ug/node88.html
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.9.1/ug/node96.html

You want to use a combination of coordinate based selections and
"same residue as", e.g.:

set seltext "same residue as (x > 0 and x < 30 and y > 0 and y < 30 and z > 0)"
set sel [atomselect top $seltext]
$sel writepdb box.pdb