From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2014 - 11:33:40 CDT

Hi,
  One of my colleagues wrote the rotation logic, so I don't know the
answer to your first question (1) off the top of my head. For (2), one
reason that you might not want to rotate the system is that some people
don't want the system rotated vs. some starting orientation if they are
planning on comparing the simulation trajectory vs. some other, e.g.
externally provided, structure or simulation box that's in a different
orientation. The point is that the user needs to know what they are
trying to do, and whether it is appropriate to allow the solute structure
to be rotated or not. The program should not be making arbitrary
decisions that more rightly belong to the scientist preparing the
simulation, particularly decisions that may have important side
effects. Another concern with reducing the water volume is that one
can end up going too far and creating problems with interations between
the periodic images, the user preparing the system has to know what
is likely to happen during the simulation, if the solute is spherical
and doesn't unravel in the simulation, then a rotation to reduce volume
might be perfectly safe. On the other hand, if it is an unfolding
simulation, or a structure that is asymmetric, allowing the solvate tool
to rotate the structure automatically might be a very poor idea.