From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2014 - 23:54:59 CDT

Hi,
  We haven't run VMD on IRIX for almost 10 years now, so it
would be hard to make a concrete suggestion here. To my knowledge,
the main benefit of multiple CPUs for the old IRIX versions of VMD
would be to allow X-windows and other apps to run on other processors
while the VMD OpenGL rendering activity ran flat out on its own CPU.
IRIX had a good SMP implementation for its day, and there are many areas
in the IRIX kernel that benefited from having multiple CPUs.
If you were to try and run a somewhat more modern version of VMD
on IRIX, you would get a performance benefit from the use of multithreading
in VMD itself. The most recent revs of VMD have eliminated all of the
old IRIX-specific #ifdefs and OpenGL code, so I think you would have
to stick to something like VMD 1.8.7 or thereabouts.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/