From: Cara Kreck (cara_a_k_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2014 - 02:33:13 CDT

Hi John,

I tried running glxgears remotely on the GPU cluster, CPU cluster and RHEL workstations from MobaXTerm. In these tests it always reported a framerate of ~60fps, but the gears did not appear to move. This even happened when I ran it from the RHEL workstation that remotely runs VMD perfectly instead of MobaXTerm.

I couldn't find any info on GLX in the MobaXTerm documentation, but it does say that it supports OpenGL. While looking through the options, I found a way to disable hardware rendering in MobaXTerm. This seems to have fixed the problem. glxgears now works properly on both clusters (though strangely enough not the workstation) with a framerate of ~160fps when run from MobaXTerm, while VMD works on all systems from MobaXTerm.

I'm glad to get it working, but I'm still curious as to what is causing the inconsistencies. Why did VMD work on the CPU cluster with hardware acceleration, whereas glxgears didn't? Why did hardware acceleration cause VMD problems on the GPU cluster but not the CPU cluster? Why is it that the only computer that could handle hardware acceleration for VMD on the GPU cluster, is the one with the oldest graphics card and still can't display glxgears properly (with or without LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE)? It would be great if anyone here could shed any light on this.

At least it was an easy fix and should come in handy for anyone else having trouble with remote visualisation using Windows.

Thanks,

Cara