From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2014 - 09:50:09 CDT

Tristan's note about some reps not looking very nice as a "glow"
when rendered with transparent materials is a pretty good point.
If we really wanted to make a "glow" representation, it would likely
be best to implement something along the lines of a QuickSurf
representation, but rather than having a triangulated surface boundary,
we could render the density field itself, rather like an X-ray where areas
of high density are opaque and areas of low density are translucent or
transparent. By doing something like this you would get a "fuzzy" "glowing"
boundary associated with the linear combination of Gaussians, and the user
could have similarly easy-to-use controls over radius and density
scaling factors to make this "halo" look the way they want.
I have been planning on implenting a number of new volumetric rendering
capabilities in VMD. If I implemented a volume ray caster for the
density map produced by QuickSurf, that would probably get 90% of
what is needed to do this well and it would have the benefit of
being useful for other volume visualizations as well. I'll keep this
in mind for the next version after this one.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/