From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2014 - 10:54:09 CDT

Hi Marco,

It sounds like you are calculating an RMSF, which VMD has direct methods
for (measure rmsf command). If you are trying to do something else, it
sounds like you already have the pseudocode you need to implement it as
a script. You would first calculate an average structure (loop over all
the frames and compute the average using the vecscale and vecsum
commands in conjunction with one another
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node190.html), then
subtract that average structure from each frame (using vecsub).

Take your time, read through the tcl commands in the user guide and you
should be able to solve it.
-Josh