From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2014 - 02:10:24 CDT

To elaborate on Axel's reply, on Linux, the default location to look for
a VMDrc file is your $HOME directory (/home/username). There is a basic
example of a vmdrc file in the user guide:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node212.html, but you can
alter it to your own purposes (any legal tcl command can be put in the
vmdrc.)
-Josh Vermaas