From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 16 2014 - 10:15:20 CDT

What operating system are you running? This sounds like something
that might occur on MS Windows when files are opened as text rather than
binary, for example. It does seem like you're closing the file properly which
would be the usual cause of truncation, so this leaves OS-specific causes
as my best guess at the moment.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/