From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2014 - 10:24:57 CDT

Hi Chiara,

The tools that work "out of the box" don't quite give you the level of
detail you are interested in, since I assume you either want to change
the radii by frame or the opacity by frame to give the illusion of
appearing/disappearing. None of the default tools let you do this
easily, however, with a bit of ingenuity, you can write your own script,
as described in the vmdmovie plugin documentation
(http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/vmdmovie/), which has an
example on how to change the opacity towards the end. I've included a
simple script that should work for changing the radii over your
trajectory if you choose to do that instead.
-Josh Vermaas

set magicnumber 100 ; #Number of frames you want in total.
set appearingsel [atomselect top "some atomselection text for the
appearing atoms"]
set disappearingsel [atomselect top "some atomselection text for the
disappearing atoms"]
set arad [$appearingsel get radius]
set drad [$disappearingsel get radius]
proc moviecallback { args } {
    global magicnumber
    global appearingsel
    global disappearingsel
    global arad
    global drad
    set frame $::MovieMaker::userframe
    animate goto $frame
    #Resize the radii. I'm trying to linearly interpolate from full size
when it it fully present, to 0.1 when it is absent.
    $appearingsel set radius [vecscale [expr {0.1 + ((0.9 * $frame) /
$magicnumber)}] $arad]
    $disappearingsel set radius [vecscale [expr {1.0 - ((0.9 * $frame) /
$magicnumber)}] $arad]
}
proc enablemoviecallback { } {
    global magicnumber
    animate goto 0
    trace add variable ::MovieMaker::userframe write moviecallback
    set ::MovieMaker::numframes $magicnumber
}
proc disablemoviecallback { } {
    trace remove variable ::MovieMaker::userframe write moviecallback
}