From: Chiara Cardelli (chiaracardelli88_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2014 - 04:21:58 CDT

I actually work with ORAC http://www.chim.unifi.it/orac/ and I don't have
dcd files, just pdb files, but if I need them I'm sure I can convert them
somehow. Anyway, I know how to make a "normal" video with video maker, but
maybe I have to explain better which is the issue (I'm sorry if I wasn't
clear, I'm new in this mailing list and I'm still just a student).
In alchemical transformations the molecule which is "appearing" and
"disappearing" is actually always present in the coordinate files, so it is
visualized by vmd during the whole trajectory. But its potential
interaction with the surrounding is switched off at the beginning and then
gradually switched on, or viceversa, during the simulation. I would like to
see the molecule gradually appearing from invisible to transparent and then
visible, while the potential function is switching on. This doesn't happen
if I just press play, because the molecule is always there, altough it is
not interacting so it's like "invisible" for the rest of the system. Since
the alchemical transformations are implemented in NAMD, I was wondering if
such a visualization tool exists for VMD.

Thanks for helping,
Chiara