From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 11:50:58 CST

Hi,
  I've placed a test version of VMD 1.8.3 (alpha 4) on our FTP
site, if you'd like to see the initial solution to the MSMS
rendering issue you mentioned. The code for both Tachyon and
POV-Ray should yield better looking results than before. Tachyon
should generate output that's essentially indistinguishable from
what you get in VMD. POV-Ray is much improved, but as they don't
implement color-per-vertex triangle primitives (that we're aware of
anyway) its not quite as good as in VMD itself, or with Tachyon.
The test versions are posted here:
  ftp://ftp.ks.uiuc.edu/pub/mdscope/vmd/alpha/