From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2014 - 15:23:42 CDT

Jacob,
  It is trivial to make a stripped down VMD build, but it won't have any
impact on your memory footprint in practice. Almost no difference in
the VMD memory footprint as a function of what features it is compiled with.
The other features don't use any measurable amount of memory unless they
are actually being used.

If you see a large VMD memory footprint, be wary that the values reported
by top include things like GPU video memory mapped by the video driver,
which looks huge but is completely artificial. Run VMD in text mode
and set the environment variable "VMDNOCUDA" to "1" and that will give
you a view from 'top' that is less confusing to look at.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/