From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2014 - 01:01:49 CST

Sure, I'm not against the pdb format and use it within its limitations.
Please notice that the original meaning and use of the pdb format was
completely different from today. So the pdb format has a large amount of
disadvantages: It's limiting the number of atoms and more dramatically
residues, the coordinate range and as a ascii with large amount of
redundancy and empty columns, it is very large on your disk. So it would be
reasonable to store all the structures in a different smaller format, too,
if your problem is loading speed. As you didn't really told us where your
problem with the files is, we can't know if it is just your disc space
running out or loading the files into VMD is too slow for you, or whatever.
In any case you should compare the effort of changing VMDs source against
trying other formats, depending on what your problem actually is, buying
another HDD may already solve your problem.

Norman Geist.

---