From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2014 - 16:01:14 CST

Hi,
  If you want to show electrostatic potential on any representation,
you should load the DX file, choose color by "Volume", and then use
the "color scale data range" controls on the Trajectory tab to adjust
the mapping of electrostatic potential values to the active color scale.
Since APBS writes DX files that contain very large magnitude potentials,
you will want to set the color scale data range to something more
reasonable like -10 to 10 as a starting point.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/