From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2014 - 21:04:28 CST

Tyler,
  I'm out of the office this week, so I didn't get to your emails
until just now. Josh's suggestion is the most likely solution to
any cases where you see differences between the output of a ray tracer
and that of OpenGL ("snapshot"). When you have multiple spheres of
identical radii and identical coordinate, the ray tracer and OpenGL
can end up drawing different ones as being visible, depending on their
order in the list of primitives to be drawn. This is not specific just
to Tachyon, but is similar for other renderers as well. The solution as
Josh already suggested, is to avoid drawing identical sized concentric
spheres with different colors...

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/