From: Bennion, Brian (Bennion1_at_llnl.gov)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2013 - 12:50:36 CST

Hello

I have a mix of nvidia and amd cards on workstations and laptops running fedora core 17/18/19 with "proprietary" drivers

Both drivers of late have tended to be out of sync with the new kernel releases. At work, I block all kernel updates to mitigate this problem (until my IT folks threaten to cut me off). At home, y children have even learned how to boot into commandline mode to run yum to get the nvidia drivers to update after a new kernel was installed.

I have never had to modify source with nvidia drivers. However, it was almost routine to have to google some error in the amd drivers and apply a patch. Having said that, I have not needed to make manual patches to kernel/driver sources for AMD cards in 6 or 7 months.

This doesn't mean that they are not buggy still. My windows manager on my fedora 18 laptop gets restarted every time I try to run a remote vmd session.

Nvidia has just worked for all of my viz needs, granted they are not that great.

Regards
Brian