From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_ibpc.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2013 - 11:31:12 CST

Hi everyone,

Traditionally I used to favor nvidia GPUs over AMD for running VMD under Linux, because the drivers were "better" (that is, they ran with some glitches, but ran nonetheless). The landscape seems to be evolving these days, and nvidia has notoriously antagonized the Linus crowd (or was that Linux?) for its lack of cooperation, while AMD has been more forthcoming. That was mostly a problem with open source support, but I wonder if that also reflects in the quality of the proprietary drivers.

So, it would be great to hear about the recent experiences of some VMD/Linux users with AMD and nvidia support - both in terms of features and performance.

Thanks,
Jerome