From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2013 - 17:24:43 CST

Hi,
  I assume that you were logged in as the administrative user
when you tried to install VMD? You may have to tell Windows
to run the VMD installer with administrative privieleges if
you have any trouble. I have a Windows 8 laptop myself and I
had no trouble installing VMD on it.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/