From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2013 - 08:49:04 CST

Hi,
  You didn't mention using the movie maker before. The movie
maker is designed to do what it does, and you can't really
override the behavior that renders the images as it runs.
What you could do, is to set the movie maker to use the
"Snapshot" renderer and use a user-defined movie callback, or
a trace on the movie frame index, and within your callback procedure
you could use "rander Tachyon filname.$framenumber.dat" or
something similar to generate the .dat files. You would also get
images from the Snapshot renderings, but you could simply delete
those later. You can also write your own movie generation script
pretty easily, there are examples in the VMD script library.