From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2013 - 08:40:26 CST

Norman,
  You are correct. The existing implementation for Draw Multiple
Frames was designed to allow simple superposition of timesteps, but
does not currently allow for any properties other than coordinates
to be changed/modified during drawing. Part of the issue is that
some properties, such as secondary structure, only have a single
frame worth of storage within VMD at present, so it is not possible
to assign a different secondary structure for Draw Multiple Frames,
even if they were created as independent representations for the same
molecule. The workaround you describe, loading the frames as separate
molecules, though clearly undesirable, is probably the only good way
of accomplishing this at the moment. We are currently working on
developing a new secondary structure algorithm that greatly outperforms
STRIDE. Once this algorithm is complete, it will likely lead us to
make some significant changes to how VMD interacts with secondary
structure in general, making it feasible to animate time-varying
secondary structure without the need for scripts like sscache. This
is still a ways off, but we're slowly making progress...

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/