From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 16:25:59 CST

Hi,
  If the file format you're loading doesn't provide periodic cell information,
then VMD has no idea how much to translate the PBC cell by to draw the
other instances. The XYZ format doesn't have this information, so you would
either need to load a file format that does, or use a script command to
set the PBC unit cell information manually, e.g.:
  molinfo top set { a b c } { 100.1 200.2 300.3 }

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/