From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2013 - 14:50:18 CST

Hi,
  The previous MacOS and Windows versions of VMD have been 32-bit binaries,
which means that only 2GB can be loaded, regardless of how much physical
memory the machine has. You could either use the 64-bit Linux version of
VMD, or you could skip every Nth trajectory frame when loading the trajectory,
or load a segment of the trajectory at a time. Any of those methods are
a potential solution currently. We plan to make 64-bit versions available
for MacOS and Windows in the near future.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/