From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 15:20:56 CST

Steve,
  Send me that actual startup message you're getting that says Mesa,
I want to see the actual text VMD outputs. From what you say, it almost
sounds to me like you're trying to remote display from an SGI to a Linux
box or something like that. If that's in fact what you're doing, then
the problem isn't with the SGI at all, its your linux box that's the problem.
The only place where VMD would print something about Mesa would be from
the OpenGL renderer string, and that comes from the machine console that
you're actually displaying to, not the machine you're running from, so
if you're remote displaying VMD to a different machine, that is the source
of your problems and you'll need to check the machine that you're actually
displaying on.