From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2013 - 17:08:15 CDT

Hi Chris,

There isn't, to my knowledge, one command that will do it. There are
however a set of them that should work just fine:

North
coordtrans [measure inverse [lindex [molinfo top get rotate_matrix] 0]]
[list 0 1 0]
East
coordtrans [measure inverse [lindex [molinfo top get rotate_matrix] 0]]
[list 1 0 0]

The way to unpack the meaning behind these is to work outwards. molinfo
top get rotate_matrix gets the current rotation matrix, measure inverse
will invert that matrix. Then we use coordtrans to multiply this matrix
inverse by the cardinal directions in vector form. In playing with the
results in the clip-plane tool, the command for north will pick up the
top half of the loaded structure in clip-plane, and east will pick up
the right half of the loaded structure (with distance 0). South and west
are just inversions away.

-Josh Vermaas