From: Patrick Ladam (ladam_at_smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 09:19:40 CST

Hi all,
Concerning a possible
"Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display 0:0" in the vmd
console, this effectively sounds like a NVIDIA (and maybe other cards)
problem
with XFree (just throw the previous error message in google and see the
results...). I did the same as dallas warren (upgrade with the latest
XFree and install the latest NVIDIA driver (run the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run shell script )) and that was fixed.
Above all read the README file (/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README) to
see how to
fine tune the XFree86Config-4 file after installing the driver, you NEED
to tune it!
After this your acceleration will be full power (try tuxracer).
Here U go.
Forgive me for this slightly out of topic message but that was just
too frustrating running vmd with no DRI
Bye

PS: I am running MDK 9.2 + NVIDIA GeForce2

| Patrick LADAM                   |                               |
| Laboratoire CSSB                |     THE BIG BANG THEORY:      |
| UFR SMBH                        |                               |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin            |   In the begining there was   |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX             |        nothing at all.        |
| e-mail:                         |                               |
| ladam_at_smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr |      Then, it exploded...     |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85     |                               |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77             |                               |